A large nonprofit healthcare system selected Cornerstone as their new Learning Management System (LMS) to better support a large training effort that preceded an Electronic Health Record (EHR) system implementation.
While engaged in other workstreams at this client, Sendero identified a gap in the management and ability to maximize the effective use of the LMS and proposed an opportunity to partner together to resolve this issue, resulting in a specialized team focused solely on the LMS and training effort. With the goal to train over 31,000 end users, this project presented many challenges, including:
- Optimization of the LMS functionality and deployment related to the EHR deployment preparation
- Adjustment as COVID-19 restrictions pushed training online
- Creation, implementation, and documentation of processes for managing the LMS
- Operationalization of the LMS for large-scale use
- Assessment of resource needs
While engaged in other workstreams at this client, Sendero identified a gap in the management and ability to maximize the effective use of the LMS.
Sendero partnered with the implementation training team to learn, manage, and eventually optimize the system. With many areas of optimization coming to light, Sendero worked to implement an auditing process for training adjustments to ensure work was completed correctly and on time, and that the system was operating as intended. In addition, a revamped ticketing process was created to prioritize, assign, and report on tasks, leveraging the client’s existing IT Service Management software.
The team proposed, designed, and managed a phone line and email inbox for end users to communicate with the team to ensure issues were brought forward and fixed in a timely manner. Additionally, they designed and expanded upon reporting capabilities in the LMS to provide accurate and timely data to client leadership.
To ensure project success, Sendero documented all processes to provide for a seamless handoff to client-side teammates, if needed.
With many areas of optimization coming to light, Sendero worked to implement an auditing process for training adjustments to ensure work was completed correctly and on time.
The work that the LMS team did directly resulted in the following:
- Training: The LMS team’s work to operationalize the LMS resulted in the successful coordination of training of over 31,000 end users on EHR system functionality and use.
- Service Tickets: The new ticketing process and internal auditing strategy resulted in increased team efficiency, fewer issue tickets placed, and more changes processed per ticket.
- Reporting: The expanded reporting capabilities led to increased trust and confidence in end user readiness from the Executive Operations and Hospital Leadership.
- Process Documentation: The in-depth process documentation created, along with a mindset toward replicability, supported a smooth transition to online management amid COVID-19 restrictions. This documentation allowed for the team to assign, track, and manage the new virtual training sessions efficiently and accurately.
Due to the hard work of the LMS team, this client’s employees and contractors were prepared for the transition to a new EHR system.