After acquiring multiple companies, a large energy company identified a need to tighten up their cybersecurity environment to reduce cyber threats. The company’s main goal was to protect themselves from external and internal cyber threats and consolidate all Wi-Fi networks to one unified network. To achieve this goal, they needed an all-in-one solution to provide granular control of user activity, SSL inspection, vulnerability management and an always-on VPN.
The client engaged Sendero to provide project management and change management activities to consolidate the existing networks and implement the new solution, Zscaler.
The company’s main goal was to protect themselves from external and internal cyber threats and consolidate all Wi-Fi networks to one unified network.
Sendero partnered with key stakeholders to determine the full scope and key team members needed to execute the chosen solution. Once the project team was solidified, which consisted of resources from networking, security architecture, and Zscaler, the project was divided into three phases:
- Consolidation of the existing internal Wi-Fi networks across all the company’s locations (including corporate buildings, plants, and administrative offices) into one new unified Wi-Fi network for desktops, tablets, mobile devices, and guest devices
- Rollout of a new “always-on” VPN, which provided users the ability to access internal applications both at the office and remotely without the need to log in
- Removal of existing VPN options so that Zscaler would be the one solution for remote network access
During the first phase of the project, the team ran into network configuration issues while rolling out the new Wi-Fi network which caused for a new architecture design. We assisted with the information gathering, team allocation, and support escalation needed to redesign the network.
Additionally, the team worked with the testing and automation departments to define and create a testing strategy to ensure access to applications was not interrupted or would lead to any latency issues during the rollout.
Throughout all phases of the project, Sendero developed and delivered change management communications, including company-wide emails, posters, user guides, intranet posts, and how-to videos to make sure end users were prepared for the changes.
Sendero partnered with key stakeholders to determine the full scope and key team members needed to execute the chosen solution.
The scope of the project evolved throughout the two-year period, as the client later realized they needed a software solution in addition to the network changes. With many adjustments to the scope of the project and additional phases added, Sendero provided the necessary change management support throughout each phase, and partnered with the client to train users on the new Wi-Fi network and VPN application.
Key outcomes from this project included:
- Successfully transformed the network configuration and implemented the all-in-one cyber security software system that protects the client’s environment from outside threats and provides VPN capabilities with minimal user interaction
- Gave leaders the ability to easily view user data across the organization in a consolidated dashboard
- Provided easier control of security on the web through URL filtering capabilities
- Delivered an easy user interface for users to access all internal applications while working remotely with no need to log in/out of old VPN solutions