Positioning a Health Care PMO for Success With a Clear and Tactical Strategy
One of the nation’s largest non-profit healthcare providers had experienced significant regional growth through mergers and acquisitions, now providing quality healthcare to more than 5 million patients. As a result, the organization faced a multitude of overlapping strategic and departmental initiatives, including upgrading several applications and implementing an electronic health records (EHR) system within a new region.
Due to the organization’s expansion initiatives, the internal project management office supporting the client’s information services department found it challenging to keep up its strategic planning process in healthcare. As the cost and time of project delivery was increasing, the organization’s leadership recognized the need to identify the challenges and provide opportunities for change.
Our team partnered with the healthcare provider to conduct an assessment of the internal project management office (PMO) including its maturity, strategic direction, and change drivers. In preparation, we identified the need to create a customized PMO Maturity Model that would be leveraged for current and future state assessments for strategic planning in healthcare. Utilizing our deep subject-matter expertise combined with industry best practices, we developed a creative solution that assessed the organization’s processes within three dimensions:
- Scope: Project-Program, Departmental, Enterprise
- Approach: Operational, Tactical, Strategic
- PMO Maturity Level: Reactive, Emerging Disciplines, Initial Integration, Effective Integration
Assessment: To deliver a transparent Current State Assessment and Opportunity Inventory, we first needed a clear picture of the PMO’s current state and challenges. Our team collaborated with the Client’s Leadership Team to understand business objectives, strategic direction and change drivers. Through observations of customer interactions, 14 stakeholder interviews, and a review of existing PMO methodology artifacts, we delivered a Current State Assessment and Opportunity Inventory.
Visualization: To create a best practice-based model for growth and the future state of the client’s PMO, we needed to gather information from internal subject matter experts, capture the vision of the organization and ensure the end result was achievable.
- Facilitated stakeholder workshops
- Recommended best practices for Project Management Offices in healthcare strategic planning
- Evaluated the impact and feasibility of identified opportunities to develop a refined Opportunity Inventory and PMO Vision
Plan: Utilizing the established vision, we produced an Implementation Roadmap that prioritized key initiatives, milestones, and activities needed to move the PMO through the Maturity Model and successfully achieve the organization’s goals.
With focused attention, the PMO was positioned for a clear, actionable path of improvement that would raise the maturity of the organization within a fiscal quarter. Through a five-week engagement, our team was able to provide the client with an Implementation Roadmap that:
- Addressed 23 critical delivery pain points within both Information Services and the PMO
- Accelerated the developmental maturity of the PMO by creating a three-stream roadmap to move the organization up the Maturity Model from a Level 2 (Emerging Disciplines) to a Level 3 (Initial Integration).
- Created a Center of Excellence that would support non-PMO managed projects