Empowering a Fast-Casual Leader's Restaurant Chain's Commitment to Customer Service
An national fast-food restaurant chain with over 3,500 restaurants, serving over 3 million customers a day, started a pilot program to enhance the customer experience. To achieve this, the restaurant management implemented a new point-of-sale (POS) and customer ordering system, including a mobile solution, and refreshed the technology at all of its physical restaurant locations, both corporate- and franchisee-owned.
While the corporate-owned stores had similar processes and systems in place and successfully piloted the changes, the franchisee-owned locations’ processes, systems, and desire to change varied greatly. The restaurant organization needed to create a scalable and efficient implementation approach to launch the in-flight pilot program in franchised locations, build credibility with franchisees, and demonstrate the return on investment, as the pilot program was rolling out.
Sendero partnered with the restaurant to develop a comprehensive roadmap to meet the initiatives of the already-launched new customer enhancement program, including the necessary plans to drive desired behavior changes within the franchisee community. Our eight-week assessment began by interviewing more than 30 stakeholders and reviewing existing documentation in the restaurant organizational structure, to gain better understanding of the program’s progress, level of commitment to employees, success criteria, and concerns.
Our analysis discovered the following roadblocks to the core program:
- Core program team was under-resourced and misaligned with skills and capabilities
- Team was unclear on roles and responsibilities, creating uncertainty of ownership
- Team had limited visibility into parallel activities taking place
After we brought these findings to the client’s attention, the client extended the scope of our work to include creation of missing project plans and charters for more than 30 work streams.
Sendero delivered the following within the eight-week time-frame:
- High-level program plan to improve visibility
- Reporting templates, processes, and procedural changes to strengthen internal communication channels
- Tools and templates to facilitate communication and collaboration with franchisees
- Tools and templates to clarify roles and responsibilities and resource the core program team appropriately for the duration of the program
- Recommendations for future success, some of which were implemented right away, to the CEO and other C-Suite executives
With a project this large, we knew we needed to take some time to methodically review the entire scope including all work streams and individual roles and responsibilities. By bringing on Sendero, we were able to ensure these things were being done while not stopping the overall project in progress. Their team of subject matter experts were able to help us in all realms of the complex project.Client Sponsor, National Restaurant Chain